The B is definitely back. Bethenny Frankel, returning veteran star of “Real Housewives of New York,” sat down for a one-on-one with Andy Cohen on “Watch What Happens Live” on Sunday night.
Word is Bethenny demanded that her interview be pre-recorded for more control, but something tells me Andy didn’t mind too much having the night off. We all know he likes to get his party on. Andy started the show by reminding Bethenny that she’s had two high profile failures: her talk show and her marriage. Bethenny doesn’t feel these were failures, but rather failed experiences. Sounds like therapy-talk, but whatever gets you through the day. Her most shocking claim was this. “I will never, ever be legally married again.”
Bethenny claims she’s not bitter or incapable of a committed relationship, just this whole idea of “legal” marriages—which kind of makes your mind jump to “illegal” marriages—and what are you really saying, Bethenny? Most likely she just wants to be able to get out of a relationship when she wants out. She and Jason are still, to this day, married. This divorce is taking as long as a college degree.
Several times throughout the interview, Bethenny dropped the title of her new book, “I Suck at Relationships So You Don’t Have To” a how-to for not screwing up your relationship. So where did it go wrong for the brand mogul? “Fame, attention, and money does not bring out the best in everybody. Money, in many ways, is the root of all evil.” So why did Bethenny return to the “Real Housewives of New York?” Especially when she said, “There was a point where I was embarrassed to be a housewife.” It seems Bethenny has finally made peace with her status. “I am a professional reality star” who came back because “I felt that people didn’t know me anymore.”
Andy raved about the new season and Bethenny agreed that the show is great, though we won’t see her daughter Bryn. Bethenny choked-up during the interview mentioning that her main priority is to always protect her daughter. RHONY begins Tuesday, April 7, on Bravo.
Here are some interesting responses from the WWHL interview.
- Bethenny’s best line of the night: “Marriage is the Hotel California. You can check out anytime, but you can never leave.”
- Bethenny’s thoughts on Teresa Giudice: The two were “contentious from afar.” Warned that people with skeletons in their closets shouldn’t go on reality television shows.
- Bethenny’s thoughts on her dating life: “Kind of at a standstill.”
- Bethenny’s thoughts on Heather and Carol: She and Carol hit it off; Heather worked her nerves.
- Bethenny’s biggest change: A more vulnerable person who is now proud to be a housewife.